Monday, July 18, 2011

Hittin' the Streets

The following e-mail was received today:

I´m here! I´ve been working for about a week now in the field. Thank you everyone who wrote me from this last letter! It´s good to hear from you guys. My P-day is now Monday. 
 
When I first flew in I wasn´t quite sure what to expect. The mission president, his wife, and some of the office missionaries came to pick us up. We first went to the president's home to eat lunch, we took some pictures, and then went to the mission office. It´s in a really nice area that stays close to the ocean! After that, we got our companions and went to our areas. My companion is Elder Pili; he is really cool! He´s been out for a little over a year. He was born in Hawaii but lives in California. He really knows what he is doing, and he is helping me out a bunch.
 
 My area is called Mundubim. It´s outside of the city of Fortaleza. We live in a small house/apartment with two other missionaries. It´s definitely a lot different than what I am used to. The first day of working and teaching was a little hard for me. When we taught people, my mind would go blank. Haha, but with time, and day by day, I am geting a little better. I have a lot to learn. I thought that I learned a lot at the M.T.C., but I have so much more to work on;  I´m sure I´ll get there in time. 

It is very very hot here and very humid. We walk everywhere we go, and it definitely isn´t easy. I´m usually pretty worn out by night time. It´s all worth it though when I am able to teach a person or a family and I can see a smile on their face. The people here live mostly in poverty; the houses have concrete floors mixed with dirt; the roads are just rocks, but the people are still happy. It is a humbling experience, and it makes me appreciate what I have back at home. The people here are very accepting to hear our message, but not so much to accept it. We taught many people this week but no one ended up coming to church that said they would. We´ll just keep on working though. Hope that all of you guys are doing well at home! Thanks for all of your support!
 
With love,
Elder Castagno

1 comment:

Tachi said...

Hi everyone I just used the option of
www.DearElder.com I though it was pretty easy and convenient. Unfortunately his mission doesn't offer a free pouch letter yet,but you can create and to send a letter is .98cents(they print and mail)
DEAR ELDER.COM
1. Go to DearElder.com

2. drop down box select "Brazil, Fortaleza"

3. "write a missionary" should populate w/Fortaleza Brazil you may have to type in Elder Alexander Castagno's

5. type letter and send! :)