The following e-mail was received on Monday May 7, 2012:
Well, this week was a huge smack in the face. After a great first week,
the second week just had to be super tough. Each day just about all of
our appointments fell through. We tried working with everyone too: members, non-actives, investigators, contacts....but nothing. The
members are not animated [motivated/excited] to do anything. We try and get referrals, but
the banks are all dried up. The inactive [members] that we try to visit have
either moved, or they don´t want anything to do with the church. And our
investigators don´t want to go to church! We had a couple that were way
interested [in] the church....but they said they needed permission
from their pastor to go to another church--give me a break!
It´s just
ridiculous the things that happen over here. About half of the area is baptized, but about 80% of them are inactive. Things are just kind of a big mess over here. We tried organizing goals and things to help the ward mission leader, but he flaked on our meetings, and
nothing is happening. There is so much more, but I'd be here all day
writing.
It´s difficult when no one helps or cares that much. But we
have to keep trying. I´m hoping for a better week. The work of the Lord
is the hardest thing to do--no matter where you are on the
earth, I think. I just wish that people could see what I see, but you can´t take
another's agency from them.
Other than that, all is fine. Me and my [companion]
try and make light of things so we don´t get disanimated [discouraged]. With patience
and hope, things will get better...eventually.
--Elder Castagno
1 comment:
I can tell his getting more immersed in the Portuguese by the number of edits you have to put into the post. :) Na boa.
Post a Comment